We design roads that enhance the highway network and enable safe and efficient movement
Our road design solutions are safety focused and draw on expertise from right across the engineering, research and design disciplines – from understanding human behaviour to the economics of building road assets.
We have an in-depth understanding of network operations and road network asset management. This enables us to design public and private roads that offer value for money over the asset’s lifecycle. Our work is enhanced by Opus’ research capability and in-depth knowledge of asset and materials performance.
We work with local highway authorities, developers and construction consultants. Leading edge technology plays a key role in our work and our team of experienced engineers and technicians use a range of software packages including MX (formerly Moss), Civil3D, Windes, Autotrack, Keylines and Keysigns.
Our work often involves managing highway agreements and approvals, such as alterations to existing highways, new roads to be adopted by local highway authorities, and Approval in Principle (AIP) procedures for adopted structures such as bridges.
Our experience in the UK
Our road design services include:
- Highways and infrastructure design using 3D analysis software for priority junctions, roundabouts, signal controlled junctions and pedestrian/cycle schemes
- Designs for local highway authorities
- Design Manual for Roads and Bridges adoptable standards and Manual for Streets guidance
- 3D ground modelling
- Calculating earthworks volumes (cut and fill analysis)
- Highway drainage solutions including hydraulic modelling of existing and proposed drainage systems
- Vehicle tracking analysis
- Road safety audits stages (stages one to four)